Thursday, September 22, 2016

Goodbye, Summer

Our last few weekends have been spent outdoors chasing what's left of the summer sun.  The weather has been beautiful so we decided to soak up all the warm rays we could to last us until next year.  We're definitely ready for a new season around here, but it's always a little sad to say goodbye to summer.  

Each year as fall closes in, I feel like we need to squeeze in one more pool day or run through the sprinklers, take a sweaty walk to get ice cream, eat corn on the cob or spend a whole day barefooted (and if you're my children...shirtless and maybe also pantless ;)).  
And so we did.
 

 I've pretty much forced the boys outside every free minute of every day recently.  I can't handle them being indoors when the weather is perfection.  They sometimes fight it, but a couple hours later I can barely drag them in for a meal. 
 

 There's something about the fresh air that makes the boys' imaginations come alive.  With grass stained feet carrying them into the land of make-believe, they become pirates, detectives and super hero's.  These boys are wild and full of endless possibility.  I love how adventurous they are.
  I am grateful for slow, lazy weekends spent outside and my ever-growing appreciation for the best things in life.
Now we're looking forward to the coziness of fall.  I can't wait to have the windows wide open. I want to make soup and wear sweaters.  And I love the smell of the furnace when you turn it on for the first time (is that weird?).  It's the simple things :)

Goodbye, summer.  You were good to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment