Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Happy #8, Max McAlister | A Sherlock Holmes Party

"...and she loved a little boy very, very much.  even more than she loved herself.
- Shel Silverstein
(A perfect quote by one of Max's favorite authors)

Dear Max, 
You changed my life the moment you entered it eight years ago today.  You taught me how greatly I had underestimated nearly everything I thought I knew about love or vulnerability or patience or happiness.  

You are so full of dreams and determination.  I often feel like a stagecoach driver pulling back on the reigns of a wild horse so ready to charge ahead into the future.  

Sometimes I grieve the little boy you used to be, but every day you are showing me the beauty of giving you the space to grow and become yourself.  I'm so in awe of the person I see unfolding.  As much time as I spend trying to hold on tight to each and every moment/detail/memory I see something even more amazing happen when I loosen my grip.

I often tell you that although you'll always be my baby, you don't belong to me.  You belong to yourself and to the world.  I hope that  inspires you to take ownership of your choices and empowers you to live your life in the way that feels right to you.

You have already made us so proud.

My whole heart,
Momma


***Max's Sherlock Holmes Birthday Party***

Max has been reading the Sherlock Holmes series (modified for kids) and he's fascinated with mysteries in general.   I love that he still let's me go all-out on his birthday theme without being embarrassed by it:)

He got to invite a few friends to go to the Escape Room at Union Station this past weekend.  There was a "221B Baker Street" themed room, so he was thrilled.  I was so impressed that the kids solved most of the clues...we were only ONE away from breaking out in time.

Then we continued the theme at his family party at home...

I put together a mystery game for the kids to play.  They had to discover who stole the party favors...and then find where they were hidden.


the party favors.

they loved this old typewritter I borrowed from my Gram.  They kept asking "where's the 'ENTER' button?"  and I'm like...."it's NOT A COMPUTER!" :))

the cousins deep into solving the mystery.

I designed the cupcake toppers, but Sullivan cut and glued them for me!

Mimi & PopPop gave him money for our Iceland trip...real Kroner to spend!

The Murray's got him one of his favorite gifts...a real chef's coat, with his name on it!
Since Max's 1st birthday we have collected items for the Ronald McDonald House in lieu of gifts.  But...he still get's plenty of nice things:)

Although nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes, this is what he wanted for his school bday treat.  Donuts to make an "8"...featuring a picture of BB-8.  You get what you want on your birthday.
I hope you had a memorable birthday, Max!

No comments:

Post a Comment