Friday, June 8, 2018

Unexpected Perks of Traveling Abroad with Kids


When I was in college I traveled abroad.  It was the first time that the great big world seemed small to me.  Accessible in a way I never realized it could be. Travel from that point on seemed less about getting away and more about diving in.  I was hooked.

Watching our two oldest boys develop their own identities as travelers was the highlight of the trip for me.  Curiosity straightening their backs and widening their eyes. It's something I wanted for my children long before I ever even held them in my arms. Now they're hooked too.

This was our first "big" trip with kids and the initial thought of the logistics it would require was intimidating. Not to mention many people pointing out that the trip would be "much more fun without kids.", ha:)  While there were definite limitations to having young ones in tow, I also discovered that there are real, unexpected benefits to having kids along on these adventures...

1) You'll interact with locals and fellow travelers more because of the kids.  Mine don't know a stranger.  They'll ask questions, be the first to say hello or "can I have a bite of that??

2) Kids notice things adults don't.  A small detail, a sound. Many things that would've been overlooked as a result of my adultness were brought to light by my little observers. I actually SAW more with them along.

3) Kids truly enjoy the journey.  Airplane peanuts, turbulence (yes, they thought it was a blast!), a cab ride...all things that I view as a means to an end are seen as an awesome adventure in their eyes.


4) We actually spent less.  Fancy dinners, late nights out and other elaborate plans were not even on our radar.  Quick, easy meals and simplifying our plans actually saved us money and let us experience travel in a whole new way.  Shopping in their grocery stores was one of the best things we did and gave us a deeper connection to the local culture than we would have otherwise.  Also, kids enjoy the free stuff - parks, playgrounds, feeding the ducks.  It forced us to slow down rather than hitting the pavement and shelling out entrance fees all day long.

5)  Feeling unstoppable.  We did it.  We felt fearless.  The promise we made in our hearts to show our children the world, give them more experiences than "things"...we are staying true to.  And this big leap just fueled that fire.

Specifics about the how/what/where of our trip to Iceland forthcoming!

skipping rocks



No comments:

Post a Comment